1. To launch hyperterminal, go
to Start > All
Programs > Accessories > Communications and
2. And a New
dialog will appear.
3. Type in the desired Name of the connection (i.e. Metropolitan
4. Click OK
5. Type the Phone number for the appropriate
6. Click OK to proceed.
Note: Metropolitan Campus phone number is
201 692 2700 and The College at Florham number is 973 443 8501.
7. At the following dialog box, click Dial
to proceed to connect through the newly created connection.
8. The following Terminal dialog box will prompt
you for your Username.
9. At the Username
prompt, type your NetID address
10. Press <Enter>.
11. At the Password prompt, type
your NetID password.
12. Press <Enter>.
13. Once your Username
and Password have been authenticated,
you will be at the Teaneck>
prompt. Now you can login to the Alpha server by typing the host
name and pressing <Enter>.
Note: The Hyperterminal connection gives
you terminal access to hosts such as Alpha.fdu.edu, but does not
grant you access to your NetID account or the Internet.
You will now be at the login prompt
for the Alpha server.
14. Type your Alpha account at the login prompt
and press <Enter>.
15. Type your Alpha password
and press <Enter>.
Note: Your Alpha login is separate account
information from your NetID account.
If you successfully login to the Alpha
host, the following dialog will appear.
16. Type “exit” at each prompt
to terminate the connection.
Note: When the session is terminated you
will be asked to save this connection and an icon will be created
under the Hyperterminal program group.
17. To retrieve the newly created connection,
you will once again proceed to Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications/Hyperterminal/(i.e.
18. If a Desktop icon is desired, you can simply
Right click and drag the connection icon (i.e. Metropolitan Campus.ht)
to the Desktop and click “copy here”.
19.The newly created connection icon will now
be accessible from the Desktop.