What is the FDU Technical Assistance Center?
The Fairleigh Dickinson University Technical Assistance Center
(UTAC) is the university technical helpdesk
support organization. Fairleigh Dickinson University students,
faculty, and staff must contact the UTAC to initiate
support requests for commercial application software, desktop environments
and peripherals, network connectivity,
computer password maintenance (i.e., Novell, NetID, Unix, Datatel),
hardware and software configuration
support, other computer related product and service issues, Blackboard,
and cable TV repair requests.
UTAC agents will take the initial request, verify contact information,
assist with troubleshooting, and refer or
escalate the request to the appropriate resolving party for timely
support. Callers will also be provided with a
trouble ticket number for tracking the status of trouble requests.
The UTAC center maintains open communication
lines with resolving parties to ensure that issues are escalated
and are responded to appropriately to meet customers’ needs. The UTAC’s
primary goal is to initiate your support request, assist with troubleshooting
and resolution, or
to swiftly escalate to resolving parties so that you may focus
on your work, and your goals, not a technology
When can I expect a response to my issue?
The FDU Technical Assistance Center (UTAC) is staffed with Agents
who are ready and waiting to take your
phone call. University community members who contact the UTAC
by email or via web submission will receive an
electronic acknowledgement of their request within 30 minutes
and a response within 24 hours.
How can I reach the FDU Technical Assistance Center?
The FDU Technical Assistance Center (UTAC) can be reached
- Via Phone at 973.443.UTAC (University Technical Assistance Center)
- From The College at Florham by dialing the
- From The Metropolitan Campus by dialing #8822.
- Via email at FDUTAC@fdu.edu
- Via the self service web portal from here.
- First time users can login using their 7 digit University
ID and the default password of Passw0rd which should be changed at first login.
When can I reach the FDU Technical Assistance Center?
The UTAC is available to take your support request by phone, email, web
submission, or self-service portal 24x7.
What information do I need to provide when I contact the FDU Technical
To facilitate your request, the FDU Technical Assistance
Center requires that you have the following information
- University ID (a.k.a. 7 digit Datatel Number) is required for support services
- FDU NetID account information is required to receive full
services. For information on NetID, or to create a FDU NetID
account, please visit the identity.fdu.edu website.
- Contact number and a location where you can be reached
- Detailed problem description:
- Operating System and Service Pack (i.e., XP SP2, …)
- Browser type (i.e. Internet Explorer 6)
- Application Name and Version (i.e., MS Word 2003)
- Database name (if applicable)
- Server IP or URL that cannot be accessed
- Exact error messages/ and steps leading to the problem
- Any other information that is pertinent or may be helpful towards trouble identification and resolution